How to Join
Members of the Spartan Youth Wind Symphony are selected by audition.
Who Can Audition?
Any students who will be in grades 9-12 during the 2018-2019 school year may audition. This means that current eighth graders CAN audition!
When and Where Are Auditions?
Students may audition live on campus, or by submitting a recording. All auditions are evaluated by the same adjudicator to ensure fairness.
Live auditions will be held Saturday and Sunday, May 19-20, 2018 from 12-4 PM. Register by Monday, May 14, 2018.
How Do I Submit a Recorded Audition?
A recorded audition can be submitted on CD and sent by US Mail, or recorded and e-mailed as an mp3 file (not .wav or other format, please).
CDs must be postmarked NO LATER THAN May 19, 2018, and e-mail submissions must be received before 11:59 PM on May 20, 2018.
Suggestions for Submitting a Recorded Audition
- Record the audition in a large room, like your high school band room, rather than in your bedroom at home
- Be careful not to place the microphone too close to your instrument
- Before you play, state your name and instrument on the recording
- Listen to the recording before you send it to be sure everything recorded correctly
- Ask your private lesson teacher or band director for help!
What Should I Play?
Woodwind/Brass: A solo (accompanied or unaccompanied) or musical excerpts with contrasting styles that demonstrate your best level of technical and expressive performance abilities. It is acceptable to play multiple excerpts from one solo/etude or multiple solos/etudes.
The solo/excerpts should not exceed 6 minutes in duration.
Also, a chromatic scale over the entire range of the instrument with which you are comfortable, at your fastest comfortable tempo (any articulation is acceptable).
Percussion: Solos or musical excerpts that show proficiency on snare drum, a mallet instrument, and timpani. The audition should not exceed 10 minutes in duration.
When Will I Find Out If I Made SYWS?
Students will be notified by e-mail of audition results no later than June 1, 2018.
2018-2019 FEES and TUITION (non-refundable)
- Application fee - $50 (must be paid online – see information below)
- Families with multiple children auditioning need only submit one application fee
- Annual tuition for participation in the 2018-2019 SYWS - $250 (paid upon acceptance to ensemble)
- Members of the 2018 MSBOA Middle or High School All-State Bands or High School Orchestra are eligible for a $50 discount off of the tuition fee
- Families with multiple children participating will receive a discount on the second tuition fee.
Ready to Apply? Click on the “Apply” Tab!