Jazz Ensembles Auditions 2019-2020
AUDITION DATES FOR FALL 2019 JAZZ ENSEMBLES
Sunday, August 25: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Monday, August 26: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sign-up for an audition time will be posted by July 19, outside of the Jazz Studies Office (Mrs. Whitaker, 304 Music Practice Building)
Instructions 2019-20 MSU Jazz Ensemble Auditions:
Part I: Perform excerpt, “Evidence,” Composed by Thelonious Monk/Arranged by John Clayton
- All Saxophones, Trumpets, Trombones, Bass and Drums: play from measure 161 through the end of measure 230
- Piano and Guitar: play from measure 145 through the end of measure 230
- Quarter-note = 208
Part II: Perform “Rain Check,” Composed by Billy Strayhorn (in F concert)
- All instruments play the melody from memory
- All instruments improvise for 1-2 choruses
- All rhythm section instruments must demonstrate ability to comp and “trade 4s”
Jazz Audition Excerpts