SUSPENDED: Choir Concert and Discussion: “The Journey of Harriet Tubman”
Venue: University United Methodist Church
MSU Women’s Chamber Choir and Guests
In accordance with the state’s emergency declaration and protocols set by MSU, all music events have been suspended. Please read notice.
Conducted by Sandra Snow
In celebration of the life and work of Harriet Tubman, the MSU Women’s Chamber Ensemble is hosting a multi-generational event of choirs that will perform “The Journey of Harriet Tubman” by Ronald Kean.
This composed piece for choir, marimba, and kalimba (thumb piano) using material from spirituals that would have been sung during the lifetime of Tubman. The work centers on her efforts in the underground railroad movement.
The role of Harriet will be sung by Paulé Elizabeth Jackson and the “angel choir” by members of the MSU Community Music School Children and Youth Choirs. Prior to the concert, a panel of distinguished guests will discuss the importance of Harriet’s life and work and issues related to the singing of spirituals and their importance in cultural and musical terms.
Co-sponsored by the MSU Committee on Diversity and Inclusion and the University United Methodist Church.
University United Methodist Church, 1120 S Harrison Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823
General admission seating: $12 for adults, $10 for seniors, free for students with ID and anyone under 18. Free student group tickets are also available, please contact the College of Music Box Office for assistance.
Add a $1.50 convenience fee for each ticket ordered online or over the phone. Tickets may also be purchased at the door if available. College of Music Box Office: 517-353-5340, email@example.com
- Harriet Tubman: Paulé Elizabeth Jackson
- Eastern Michigan University Women’s Choir, Ypsilanti, MI, Liza Calisesi Maidens, conductor
- Voca Lyrica, Big Rapids, MI, Ginny Kerwin, conductor
- Vocal Majority, Traverse City, MI, Wendee Wolf Schlarf, conductor
- La Alma, Holland, MI - Pamela Pierson, conductor
- Michigan State University Children’s Choir and Treble Choir, Alison Geesey Lagan, conductor
Discussion Panel (prior to the concert)
- Moderator, Ms. Ginny Kerwin, Voca Lyrica and former Exec Director MSVMA
- Mr. Stacey Gibbs, composer/arranger, Detroit, MI
- Dr. Ronald Kean, composer and conductor, Cal State University Bakersfield (ret)
- Dr. Eugene Rogers, Director of Choral Activities, University of Michigan
- Dr. Sandra Snow, MSU Women’s Chamber Ensemble