The Michigan State University brass area prepares students for success as performers, teachers, researchers and leaders with careers in symphony orchestras, military bands, chamber ensembles, and at universities, colleges and schools.
The brass area at MSU is led by a distinguished, masterful faculty who foster a vibrant, supportive environment for students to reflect, grow, and thrive as performers and teachers.
Meet Brass Faculty
Associate Professor of Trumpet
Professor of Trombone
Professor of Tuba and Euphonium and Chair of the Brass Area
Associate Professor of Horn
About the Brass Area
Faculty in the MSU brass area work with students whose major instruments are trumpet, horn, trombone, euphonium, and tuba. Students participate in weekly private lessons, studio classes, and chamber coaching as they develop individually and explore exciting musical careers.
All faculty maintain active performing careers on regional, national, and international levels, and have strong ties within the performing and teaching communities. Guest artists frequently offer masterclasses, perform with students and faculty, and provide insights on careers and building networks.
Students perform in state-of-the-art, prominent venues at MSU and within the College, and can audition for and perform with numerous renowned ensembles, including:
- Wind Symphony, Symphony Band, and Concert Band
- Symphony Orchestra and Concert Orchestra
- Chamber music ensembles
- Spartan Marching Band and Spartan Brass
- Symphony and concert orchestras
- Choirs and choral ensembles
- New music ensemble Musique 21
- Jazz ensembles
- MSU Opera Theatre
The brass area fosters an active culture of chamber music led by a faculty quintet (the Beaumont Brass Quintet), and supports a quintet program for students at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Bachelor of Music in Composition
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Music Minor
- Master of Music in Performance
- Master of Music in Performance (Multiple Brass Specialist)
- Doctor of Musical Arts in Performance
- Performance Diploma