MSU Vocal Outreach Program
MSU cares about students and the future of the vocal arts. With this program, your students will have an uplifting and enlightening musical experience!
Since fall 2016, the Michigan State University Vocal Outreach program has traveled to numerous Michigan high schools where talented MSU graduate voice students perform a variety of music. At no cost to schools, students in all locations, demographics and backgrounds – rural, urban and suburban – are presented with a 45 minute cabaret-style performance of opera, musical theater, and spirituals. For many, it may be the first time they have heard this music and seen it performed by artists of different backgrounds.
The cabaret in 2019-20 is called "From Bizet to Bernstein," and each performance ends with the student audience members singing "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" with the MSU singers! It is an enjoyable time for all, and ample time is left at the end for questions from the students and an evaluation survey.
Through this program, the MSU Vocal Outreach program lets students know about the possibilities that await them at MSU or other vocal music departments. Shared with the students are admissions information and, most importantly, the music literature that may be new to them and also inspiring. Typically, students are surprised by the talent they witness, and the Q & A often provides interesting and useful insights for students to take away.
Teachers are a vital connection to our program, and faculty from the MSU College of Music vocal area work closely with them to be sure to achieve our shared goals. The program has often been invited back in subsequent years due to the positive impact it has on students.
Schools the program visited or who have attended MSU Vocal Outreach events include:
- Avondale High and Middle Schools
- Carman-Ainsworth High School (Flint)
- Cass Technical High School (Detroit)
- Chandler Park Academy Middle School (Harper Woods)
- Charlotte High School
- City Middle/High School (Grand Rapids)
- Detroit School for the Arts
- Eastern High School (Lansing)
- Everett High School (Lansing)
- Grand Blanc High School
- Kalamazoo High School
- Kearsley High School (Flint)
- Kelloggsville High School
- Leslie High School
- MLK High School (Detroit)
- MLK Leadership Academy (Grand Rapids)
- MSU Community Music School - Detroit
- Ottawa Hills High School (Grand Rapids)
- Northwest High School (Jackson)
- Renaissance High School (Detroit)
- Sexton High School (Lansing)
- Western High School (Jackson)
- Ypsilanti-Lincoln High School
Opera Grand Rapids invited the MSU Vocal Outreach program to perform for and interact with four schools at once at the Betty Van Andel Opera Center. It worked very well to have four schools gather in one location, and Opera Grand Rapids has invited our program back to do it again.
This program brings the best of MSU to schools each year. This year, our singers will be:
Jadrian Tarver, baritone, of Florida
Tianxi Wang, soprano, of China
Nina Mutalifu, soprano, of China
Nick Hudak, tenor, of Pennsylvania
For more information or to schedule a planning discussion for your school, contact MSU Vocal Arts Outreach Program Coordinator Sadie Rucker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-432-7109.