Listening & Support

The College of Music community values the many bonds that form as we all work together toward personal and professional goals. We strive to foster a community based on trust, professionalism and mutual support. Still, we realize we are not immune from occurrences of abuse—which comes in many forms—within our community. With that in mind, we provide here a list of area resources that College of Music students, faculty and staff may access should abuse of any kind occur. 

Reporting Abuse

We hope that the options listed on this web page can help anyone who feels abused (at any time and in any way) to find a resource that helps deliver support, action and recourse. While this may not be a comprehensive list of every available resource, the College pledges to do its best to keep this list up-to-date and with as many options as possible.

If in an emergency situation, call 911.  

Police Departments

  • MSU Police Department – (844) 99-MSUPD (844-996-7873)
  • East Lansing Police Department – (517) 351-4220


MSU College of Music Support​

Faculty and Staff – all College faculty and staff have received training in how to respond to reports of abuse. In fact, it is a requirement that each person listen, take the information seriously, and report. Contact the faculty or staff member you feel most comfortable with, whenever necessary.

The Office of the Dean and Associate Deans – Dean James Forger and Associate Deans David Rayl and Michael Kroth have an open door policy. Their offices are always open to students who need to report abuse or express concerns about behaviors of anyone who studies or works in the College.

  • Dean James Forger (517) 355-4583,
  • Associate Dean of Graduate Studies David Rayl (517) 353-9122,
  • Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies Michael Kroth (517) 355-7663,
  • Rodney Whitaker, Special Assistant to the Dean and Director of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, (517) 432-2194,

Additional Contacts

  • Talitha Wimberly, Director of Undergraduate Student Affairs, (517) 432-2616,
  • Susan Hoekstra, Graduate Advisor, (517) 884-9448,
  • Christine Beamer, Director of Career Services and Music Entrepreneurship, (517) 432-7371,


On Campus Reporting

MSU Office of Institutional Equity – (517) 353-3922
The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) accepts calls, emails, and walk-in reports regarding any matters related to discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking. OIE staff can help you file a report, investigate your report, connect you with resources, and provide training for your group or unit on the policies. For more information, email: or visit the Office of Institutional Eqity website.

MSU Misconduct Hotline – (800) 763-0764 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) 
The MSU Misconduct Hotline was established to provide an anonymous method to report known or suspected misconduct for Michigan State University related to fiscal matters, conflicts of interest, employment, medical/HIPAA, research, safety, athletics, discrimination/harassment, privacy, retaliation, or any other area of legal, policy, or ethical concern not specifically listed. You may also visit the Misconduct Hotline website


On Campus Supportive Services

My SSP: Student Support Program - (counseling support 24/7/365; FREE to all students)

  • My SSP is confidential, and can help with:
    --Adapting to new challenges
    --Being successful at school
    --Relationships with friends and family
    --Practical issues with studying
    --Stress, sadness, loneliness, and more
  • The My SSP professional counselors are available to help anytime, anywhere with:
    --Immediate support by phone and chat
    --Ongoing support by appointment via phone and video
    --In addition, culturally relevant support is available in the language of the caller’s choice.
  • There are multiple options for connecting with a My SSP counselor:
    --Download the free My SSP app on Google Play or iTunes
    --Chat online at
    --Call 1-866-743-7732
    --From outside North America, call 001-416-380-657

MSU Sexual Assault Program – (517) 372-6666 (24-hour crisis line)
The MSU Sexual Assault Program responds to those impacted by sexual violence; provides counseling and support groups to MSU students and a 24-hour hotline and advocacy services offered to anyone in the greater Lansing community. Visit the Services section on their website to learn more.

MSU Safe Place – (517) 355-1100
MSU Safe Place addresses relationship violence and stalking; located on the campus of Michigan State University, serving students, faculty, staff, their spouses/partners and non-affiliated members in the greater Lansing Area. MSU Safe Place provides advocacy, emergency shelter, counseling, support groups, safety planning, information and referrals to survivors of violence and their minor children. All support services are free and confidential. Visit the MSU Safe Place website for more information.

MSU Office of the University Ombudsperson – (517) 353-8830
The Ombudsperson is a resource for students, faculty and staff to report problems and get insight in a neutral, confidential, informal, and independent manner. They do not take a side, and information provided to them will not be disclosed without the visitor's permission. They are there to listen, understand, and provide information to help solve problems. They are not mandatory reporters for Title IX issues, and they do not participate in the formal grievance process. The office may be contacted by phone, e-mail ( or through their online problem report form. Visit for more information.

MSU Counseling & Psychiatric Services – (517) 355-8270
MSU Counseling & Psychiatric Services (CAPS) is for students seeking help for a wide range of concerns, including: depression, anxiety, stress management, homesickness, adjustment or acculturation, relationships, gender and sexual orientation (LBGTQ) issues, substance abuse, traumatic experiences, eating or body image concerns, and other personal mental health concerns. Learn more about these services on the web.

MSU LGBTQ Resource Center – (517) 353-9520
The MSU LGBTQ Resource Center offers a variety of support options including references to resources as well as non-emergency support and guidance. Visit the MSU LGBT Resources Center online.

MSU Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – (517) 355-4506 
EAP is a confidential counseling service provided at no cost to MSU faculty, staff, retirees, graduate student employees, and their families. email: to request information or visit the EAP website.

The HDFS Couple and Family Therapy Clinic – (517) 432-2272
The Couple and Family Therapy Clinic, operated by the MSU Department of Human Development and Family Studies, is offering free counseling sessions to all MSU students throughout the Spring 2018 term. Call to schedule an appointment or visit for more information.

Concerned about alcohol use? MSU Student Health Services – (517) 884-6598
One of many programs offered by MSU Student Health Services, this link contains information on signs and symptoms of alcohol abuse, helping a friend, and more. Call the office or visit the program web page for more information.


Off Campus Supportive Services

End Violent Encounters (EVE) – (517) 372-5572 (24-hour crisis line)
EVE provides supportive services to survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence. Vist the EVE website for more information.

The Listening Ear – (517) 337-1717 (24-hour crisis line)
Volunteers trained to deal with crises that include depression, suicide, loneliness, sexual assault, grief, and many others; also provides referrals for services throughout the Lansing area. Visit the Listening Ear website for more information.

Capital Area Response Effort (CARE) – (517) 272-7436 
For those who have experienced domestic violence and need to talk to someone. email: or visit the CARE website for more information.