Internships, Jobs, and Festivals
more under: Resources
Looking to learn about how to run a successful musical enterprise or non-profit? Internships can be a great way to explore and gain skills before graduation.
To begin an internship search:
1. Browse for positions to determine your interests. Resources include:
- Running Start's listing (scroll down)
- Job boards: MSU Handshake, The Bridge Network: NEC’s online database of jobs, internships, auditions, and competitions (password required, send request to firstname.lastname@example.org to gain access), Michigan Nonprofit Association, Idealist.org
- Arts Council of Greater Lansing internship list (email email@example.com)
- Direct targets: Music Festival websites (eg. Aspen, Music@Menlo, Glimmerglass, Wolftrap), presenting organizations, nonprofits, businesses in the industry that you love
- Professors in your area
- Alumni contacts
2. For internships within the College of Music, make a career advising appointment to draft an internship proposal that reflects your goals and learn about possible departmental/area hosts
3. Meet with Christine Beamer to determine whether it is in your best interest to get credit for the internship or whether there is external funding available.
- International students who want to pursue an internship off campus must take the internship for credit, and tie their CPT to the internship course (MUS 466).
Already found your internship but want to work on your internship application, cover letter, or interviewing skills? Come visit Running Start in MPB 202.
Running Start List of Jobs and Internships
Click on a job or internship name to be redirected to their host site.
Updated for Summer 2018.
|Job/Internship Name||Type of Program||Due Date|
|Appel Farms Arts and Music Center||Arts Administration, External Relations, School Programs and Outreach, Special Events and Conference Assistant||Rolling|
|Aspen Music Festival||Production Manager, Orchestra Manager, Technical Director, etc. See site for more listings||Varies|
|Bocal Majority||Administrative, Music Library, Junior Faculty Members||April 1, 2018|
|Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp||Counselors, Music Staff||Rolling|
|Brooklyn Academy of Music||Education Operations, Dance, Visual Arts, Production, Design, Marketing, Humanities||Varies|
|French Woods Festival of Performing Arts||Music Staff, Counselors||Rolling|
|Glimmerglass||Production, Administration, Artistic Administration||March 2, 2018|
|Interlochen Center for the Arts||Counselors, Music Staff
Other jobs and internships available
|Kennedy Center||Marketing, External Affairs, Programming, Development, Production/Operations, National Symphony Orchestra, Education, Production, Washington National Opera||March 30, 2018|
|Long Lake Camp for the Arts||Music Staff||Rolling|
|Lincoln Center for Performing Arts||Public Programming and Administrative, Public Relations, Lincoln Center Festival Managements, International Intern, Marketing Partnerships||Rolling|
|Music Academy of the West||Piano Technician, Venues Manager, Director of Individual Giving and Donor Relations||Rolling|
|Music at Menlo||Merchandising, Development, Hospitality, Patron Services and Donor Stewardship, Publications and Publicity, Production, Student Services, and Operations||March 1, 2018|
|National Public Radio||Radio Programs, New Unit, Arts and Entertainment Editorial, Picture and Multimedia, Marketing/Communications, Finance, Development, IT, Legal, Ombudsman, Sponsorsihp, Business Development, Library, Distribution, Digital Services||N/A|
|National Repertory Orchestra||Artistic & Education, Development, Personnel, Production Operations & Recording, Marketing & PR, Music Library, Video & Photography, Stage Manager, Orchestra Manager||
Stage Manager: January 15, 2018
All other fellowships: January 31, 2018
|Norfolk Chamber Music Festival||Administrative, Library/Director's Assistant, Production Manager, Recording Engineer||Rolling|
|Philadelphia Orchestra||Collaborative Learning Program, Development Department||Rolling|
|Round Top Festival Institute||Artistic Administration, Technical Assistant||February 19, 2018|
|Santa Fe Music Festival||Artistic Administration, House Manager||March 2, 2018|
|Stanford Summer Arts Institute||Residential, Music Staff, Camp Life||Rolling|
|Texas Music Festival||Orchestra Librarian, Assistant Librarian, Concert Production Manager, Operations/Personnel Coordinator, Operations & Outreach Assistant, Housing Coordinator, Housing Staff, Transportation Coordinator||March 1, 2018|
|Wolf Trap||Accounting, Communications and Marketing, Development, Education, IT, Box Office/Group Sales, Artistic Administration, Communications, Stage Management, Technical Theatre, Scene Painting, Props Assistant, Costuming||
Internships: February 1, 2018
Opera Apprenticeships: March 1, 2018
|Yellow Barn Music School and Festival||Production, Public Relations||
Priority Deadline: February 1, 2018